Violet Icy rose today occupies an honorable place in the ranking of the most beautiful senpolia, found in collections of flower growers. This violet is characterized by relative ease of care, in comparison with many of its other counterparts. Its flowering is very lush and long, which pleases and attracts gardeners.
What does the violet Icy rose look like
Violet Icy rose belongs to the Gesneriaceae family, the genus Saintpaulia Hybrid.
This flower has gathered in itself all the luxury and splendor that can only be imagined by the seniors. After all, the beginning of all hybrid varieties is given by simple, especially unremarkable delicate violets, and the result is elegant, lush hybrids that take pride of place at international exhibitions.
Grade Ice Rose RS
Briefly about the history of the appearance
This variety is the result of the work of breeder Svetlana Repkina. Hence the addition to the name - RS or RS, like all hybrid violets on the initials of the creator. This flower belongs to the collection.
Description of violets Icy rose:
- the difference from the other varieties is that with each new flowering, both the color and the structure of the petals change;
- initial color is white with violet spots, gradually becomes completely purple or raspberry;
- leaves are large, dark green with wavy edges and a tuberous surface;
- powerful leaf socket;
- at the same time 6-7 flowers are formed, but only 2-4 buds on one peduncle, since each one opens only after the flowering of its neighbor ends;
- the rosette of an adult plant can reach 45 cm.
Interesting! The final color of the petals will depend on the temperature in the room - the colder, the lighter the petals, can even become white.
Icy rose with raspberry petals
Difference of varieties Ice rose and Ice rose Lux
The main difference between the two varieties is the presence of a lime border along the edge of the Icy Rose Suite. Therefore, it is called the Ice Rose Sport RS.
Sport is the difference between violets and the main variety. Such "sports" hybrids can be obtained as a result of the propagation of the Saintpaulia. Differences are in flowers and leaves. Most often, sports are available in fantasy hybrid varieties. In this case, it is most often a lime border along the edge and more lush flowers, which are the main characteristic of the Lux variety.
Sport Ice Rose Luxury
Features of caring for violet RS Icy rose at home
Among other violets, this variety is quite unpretentious, but it also requires certain conditions for good growth. The usual watering, like many other plants, this beauty will not be enough.
The optimum temperature of cultivation is +18 .. + 24 ° С. The cooler the room, the lighter the petals.
Lighting is a very important part of violet care. In the summer, there is enough natural light from the streets, but in the rest of the year, additional lighting is needed. Therefore, a novice breeder of these colors, you will need the purchase of a fluorescent or special phyto lamp.
Important! In summer, you can not put the plant on the window sills of the windows of the south side, it will be too hot there and it may cause sunburn on delicate leaves. Ideal northwest or northeast.
Water for irrigation should be warm and soft enough. If top watering is carried out, then you need to make sure that water droplets do not fall on leaves or flowers. This will increase the risk of disease.
The best option is wick watering. Watering through the pan is also possible. In this case, the plant draws as much water as it needs. The risk of root and other types of rot is reduced.
Wick watering of violets
Spraying this hybrid violet is completely contraindicated.
The minimum level of humidity in the room is 50%.
Too dry air will adversely affect the development of the flower. Therefore, next to the violets, you can put a cup of water, wet moss or purchase a special moisturizer. This is especially important in winter when central heating batteries are turned on.
The soil should be nutritious, very light and loose. It should pass water and air well. Even when purchasing a ready-made substrate for senpolia, it is worthwhile to monitor whether perlite is present in it. If it is not, it is worth adding either this baking powder or sand.
In any soil for violets, you can always add dolomite flour, moss, crushed eggshells. A neutral acidity level is preferred.
During the first 6 months after transplantation, top dressing is not required. Then they are applied depending on the life period.
At the very beginning of the growing season, nitrogen fertilizers are introduced, which stimulate the active growth of the green part. During the flowering period, potassium-phosphorus fertilizers are introduced, which contribute to more magnificent flowering.
Important! Top dressing is carried out together with watering. If watering is wick, then fertilizers are applied directly to the water.
When and how the Ice Rose blooms
Flowering of this variety is quite lush and long. Terry flowers, with fringed edges, fantasy in color.
The shape of the flowers is densely terry Pansies.
The flowering period can last up to 10 months, followed by a short break. Flowering in the variety begins at 9 months of age.
Changes in flowering care
No special care changes are required. It is important to remove dried buds in time. Feeding with complex fertilizers is carried out 2 times a month.
How the Saintpaulia propagates Ice rose
Reproduction of large-flowered senpolia Ice rose occurs only by cuttings or peduncles. The most popular way is grafting.
For this, the strongest sheet from the second row is selected. It is placed in a glass of warm boiled water.
As soon as the root system grows to about 1 cm, the process can be planted in the prepared soil.
It is possible to plant a leaf on a substrate immediately. It must be buried about 1/3 of the entire length and covered with polyethylene or a glass jar. Every day, the shelter must be raised for ventilation, and also monitor the level of soil moisture - it should not dry out.
Transplant after purchase and during reproduction
After the purchase, do not transplant the violet immediately. She must go through the incubation period in the same container in which she grew up in the store.
Attention! For 14 days, the plant should be protected from the rest, it is advisable to place it in a separate room. This is necessary in order to protect home flowers from diseases and parasites that can be brought along by the senpolia.
Further transplantation is carried out by transshipment. Transplantation to a new place is carried out 1 time in 2 years, it is possible more often, but not less often. The size of the pot should increase slightly each time, but it should not be too deep.
In a large pot, plant growth will slow down, because it will be absorbed, first of all, by building up the root system. Only after she braids an earthen lump, the ground part begins to develop.
Possible problems in growing
Since violet is not the easiest plant to grow, various problems can arise during its cultivation.
Leaf problems are most often associated with improper care. So, yellowing, the appearance of spots on the leaves is most often associated with hypothermia. Watering with cold water or excess moisture can provoke the development of root or stem rot, as a result of which the leaves will go down and blacken.
A lack of light will provoke stretching, lengthening of the cuttings. And excess light and heat can cause wilting, drying out and sunburn on the leaf part.
The main insect parasites that can harm the violet Icy rose:
- Ticks that cannot be seen with the naked eye. They settle on aging leaves. Traces of their life appear as white dots on the leaves. Tick-affected leaves are cut.
- Thrips. They can also be seen only under a microscope, but unlike ticks, they can fly. Indoor plants most often fall from the street together in pollen or poplar fluff.
- Aphids can kill a violet. An external manifestation of her life is the appearance of wilting leaves, which then turn yellow and completely die off.
To combat any insect pests, special preparations are used - insecticides, which can be bought at any flower shop.
The most common diseases are:
- powdery mildew (real or false) is characterized by the appearance of a powdery white coating on the leaves and stems. The false variety is also accompanied by brown spots on the leaf plates;
- rust affects leaves that become rusty, then the rest of the flower suffers;
- root and stem rot are the most dangerous diseases that occur in the senpolia as a result of hypothermia and / or overflow. The appearance of this disease is detrimental to plants. If it is found, the flower can be thrown away, since it will not be possible to save it, and the pot is well disinfected.
Signs of improper care
The main problem with violets is improper care. It is from this that most of the problems appear:
- with a lack of light, new leaves will be lighter and smaller, petioles are extended, the edges of the leaves bend upward;
- increased acidity or excessive salinization of the soil leads to curling of the leaf plates, the same problem occurs with a lack of nitrogen or overflow;
- light spots on the leaves or their tips hint to the grower that the flower is watered with too cold water or suffers from sunburn;
- with the development of root rot, wilting appears, and the color of the leaves is lost;
- gray rot provokes a process in which leaves can become gray coated;
- late blight is manifested by the presence of brownish, brown spots on the leaves of violets, turgor is lost;
- due to non-compliance with the temperature regime on the plant, rust may appear, characterized by unpleasant rusty tubercles and dots on the leaves and cuttings;
- with excessive watering and hypothermia, black rot may develop on the violet, the leaves will darken and blacken.
It is better for beginners not to take up the cultivation of this plant, it is worth practicing on more unpretentious flowers.
Despite its cold name Icy Rose, the flower will delight the owner and give it its warmth for almost all year round. Indifferent to this variety can not be found. The flower amazes, delights and attracts absolutely everyone.