You can meet geraniums, or pelargonium, in almost every house. The flower is so popular because of its beauty and healing properties. Often lovers of green plants are faced with the problems and ailments of geraniums, they will be discussed later.
Like many other plants, pelargonium is often exposed to diseases, there are a large number of them. The article will give an idea of the most common ailments.
Geranium leaves turn yellow
Yellowing of the leaf plates at the edges indicates insufficient watering, lack of moisture - the main cause of the problem. If a color change accompanies the general lethargic state of the flower, then the amount of fluid is reduced.
Why do geranium leaves turn yellow? The lack of lighting in the room leads to yellowing of the lower leaves on the plant.
Yellowing foliage of geranium
To avoid a problem, you need to monitor the watering and size of the geranium pot. Narrow containers do not allow the roots to fully develop, which is the reason for the death of some areas of the culture, they may first dry out.
An important point. The appearance of yellowing after transplantation is a common side effect. Such foliage is simply torn off, and the plant continues its normal development.
Geraniums turn yellow and dry, what should I do? The reasons for this phenomenon are many, therefore it is worth considering in detail some of them.
An ideal indicator for room geraniums is + 20 ° C. Increasing the parameter changes the color of the sheet plates. Most often, this can be observed in winter with strong heating of air from central heating batteries.
Use of chemicals
Drying and yellowing of foliage occurs if chemicals, for example, preparations for the destruction of weeds, have got on the pelargonium. In addition, the flower exhibits an increased sensitivity to hygiene and cosmetics: these are air fresheners, hair sprays, etc.
The presence of drafts
Most indoor plants are placed on window sills, with regular ventilation there are certain problems. Geranium leaves turn yellow, what to do? In this case, you need to choose a place where drafts will not harm pelargonium.
Geranium leaves turn red
The redness of the leaf plates indicates that mistakes were made in the care of the crop. The reasons here may be different: from violations of agricultural activities to improper maintenance. To save the flower, it is necessary not only to timely respond to the problem, but also to treat the shrub.
Geranium leaves turn red
There may be several reasons:
- Low indoor temperatures. With stable indicators of +18 ° C and below, the plant begins to respond to inappropriate conditions for it, namely, by reddening the leaf plates from the tips, then the color of the entire leaf changes. The temperature should be adjusted as soon as possible, until pelargonium has dropped all the leaves;
- Diseases of a fungal or bacterial nature. At risk are plants exposed to excessive watering and standing in a cool room. This environment is very popular with various spores and bacteria;
- Lack of nutrients. The absence of top dressing with magnesium and nitrogen leads to the fact that geraniums turn red;
- Fertilizing in large quantities. Leaf plates acquire a red tint even if the culture receives too much nitrogen;
- If the geranium leaves turn red, the reason is the intensity of sunlight. Pelargonium is a photophilous plant, but under long exposure to the sun, it begins to burn not only foliage, but also the stem. They appear as red spots.
Why do geranium leaves dry
Another problem that the geranium owner may encounter is the withering of the leaf plates. The causes of this condition in the plant are several:
- insufficient lighting;
- excessive or insufficient watering;
- inappropriate temperature conditions;
- fungal pelargonium diseases;
- the appearance of pests;
- pot of small volume.
Some reasons have already been discussed above; therefore, options not yet presented will be considered in more detail.
The leaves are dry
Lack of light is expressed by the gradual yellowing and drying of the leaves located below the plant. The extension of the stem part begins, the flowering phase is either very rare or completely absent. It is easy to correct the situation by moving the pot to a more suitable place, closer to the light source, or install a phytolamp.
Worth to know! Pick off yellow leaves is not recommended. To the flower began to grow in width, he pinch the top of his head.
The appearance of pests accompanies the formation of small dots of yellow color. In some cases, the shoots are covered with a sticky coating or cobwebs. As the dots grow, leaf plates begin to dry out. It is necessary to determine who harms the plant and get rid of the parasite as soon as possible.
The condition of the leaves indicates crowding: at first they may turn yellow, then they dry and fall off. In addition, the root system begins to be visible in the drainage hole of the pot. The best way out of the situation is a culture transplant.
In addition, you need to pay attention to how the drying of foliage occurs:
- the lesion affects the leaf plates at the edges - insufficient watering;
- the plant itself begins to dry out - a disease of fungal origin.
Bordeaux liquid 5% will help get rid of the fungus. Along with this, the culture is treated twice with Fitosporin with a weekly break.
Lack of flowering
In order for the plant in the apartment to please its owner with a beautiful flowering, he needs the right conditions of detention, violations of which lead to the absence of buds. There may be several reasons:
- Lack of fertilizer;
- Wrong watering;
- The pot does not fit the plant;
- Trimming is not carried out in a timely manner. With active growth and excessive thickening, pelargonium will produce only leaf plates. You need to trim in the spring or autumn months;
- Lack of lighting;
- Lack of proper conditions in winter. The temperature indicator during the cold season should be up to + 16 ° C. The plant should receive light at least 5 hours a day. Watering is carried out in small portions of liquid.
A large number of reasons leading to yellowing of foliage in geraniums have already been described, but there is another one - the appearance of the botrytis fungus (Botrytis). It can be recognized by the defeat of the leaf plate: it begins to go not from the edge of the foliage, but by a triangle. Defeating the disease is not as easy as it seems. Fungicidal treatments do not always give the desired result the first time.
An important point. The best methods for fighting the fungus are ensuring free air exchange between plants and a cool indoor temperature. Flowers should not be very close together.
The ailment is detected by the presence of dark-pressed spots in the lower part of the stem, and the mycelium of the fungus, which causes root rot, will develop on them. Gradually, the plant withers.
The problem may arise for the following reasons:
- too much fertilizing in the ground;
- increased temperature in the room;
- excess watering;
- non-compliance with the light regime;
- lack of ventilation.
As control measures undertaken:
- compliance with agrotechnical issues;
- cessation of watering;
- fungicide treatment of the culture: Fundazol, Rovral.
On a note. For geraniums, it is recommended to choose high-quality well-aerated soil.
The main symptom of the disease is the appearance on the leaf plates of places with a rusty yellow color. Lumps filled with spore powder may form. With severe damage, the plant becomes lethargic and discards leaves.
The treatment is carried out:
- using bottom watering;
- dead parts of the plant are removed;
- fungicidal drugs are used.
Need to know. Only at the initial stage of the disease can it be eliminated.
Geranium diseases include ailments of a bacterial form, they are spread by microbes. Triangular brown spots may appear on the leaves. The lesion zones gradually dry, and all pelargonium fades.
How to deal with the problem:
- Purification of the soil, transplanting the culture into another container with better soil. Old soil is recommended to throw away;
- Watering in the morning;
- The use of fungicidal agents.
For this category of ailments, various symptoms are characteristic: both stunting, and the appearance of spots that have the shape of a circle in purple-brown color. The fight against viruses is not much different from the fight against bacterial ailments. Particular attention is paid to insects that transmit the infection.
In another way, the disease is called alternariosis. The lower side of the sheet becomes covered with spots and bubbles, then it fades, turns yellow, falls off.
With cercosporosis, the appearance of pale white sunken spots is also observed, then they turn gray. The affected area eventually turns brown and rises in the central part.
- removal of affected leaf plates;
- thinning of the processes;
- fungicide treatment.
The disease is determined by the presence of bubbles, inside of which there is a liquid. They are formed on leaf parts. Initially, the bubbles are light green in color, then turn brown. Edema occurs due to a large amount of moisture and too low temperature indicators of air and soil. They get rid of the symptoms by normalizing the conditions of the plant.
Most diseases and problems with the culture occur when conditions of care are violated. To prevent ailments, including preventing the leaves from turning red, it is recommended to follow simple rules:
- Compliance with the temperature regime.
- Monitoring the moisture indicator, both soil and air.
- Providing adequate lighting.
- Fertilizer application.
- Fight against midges.
Worth to know! Spider mites, aphids and whiteflies require the most attention. These parasites often appear in rooms with dry air and bring with them various viruses and infections.
If insects are found, all plants are inspected, washed, treated with insecticidal agents.
Geranium has long been considered a very useful domestic plant with the ability to destroy bacteria in large quantities. Also, the flower has healing properties that the culture needs proper care to maintain.